img { max-width: 560px; width: expression(this.width > 550 ? 550: true); }

10.07.2010

The End of The Glean

I've been sitting on this "End-o-Glean" post for a week now. I seem to have misplaced one of the section drawings we had to complete. I was hoping it was buried in my mess of a studio desk. But alas, it probably went out with the rest of last week's 6th floor art garbage.

Anyways, the first part of this project went really smoothly. We had to arrange the objects gleaned. Mine looked like this:


The next part of the project was to cut two section lines and draw the section the slice created. This picture shows my two section lines. The arrow shows the viewpoint I was drawing towards.



Here's my unsuccessful attempt at those first sections and subsequent rendering of the space in between them.





The good news is that I sat down with my professor and drew out the section correctly on tracing paper (which is now lost, BOO) before moving onto the next stage, transformation. We had to choose a portion of the section and enlarge it, stretch it - manipulate it in such a drastic way that you wouldn't recognize it. The resulting space had to be designed as a contemplation room for one.

Guess where I wanted to go to contemplate? A gigantic room with an enormous pool filled with playpen balls!



What you're looking at is a close up section view of the front of the decorative molding piece, bowed paper booklet and the chestnut holding up the sheet of glass. That's me in the black. Enjoying my space. It took me about 6 hours to stencil out those thousands of little balls and shade them accordingly. Madness.

I'm so glad this project is over. I'm sure in three years I'll think back to how hard a time I had drawing the section and just laugh and laugh and laugh. Or I'll cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment