img { max-width: 560px; width: expression(this.width > 550 ? 550: true); }

12.02.2010

I'm interrupting my regularly scheduled grad-blabber to bring you... Craftland! Just when you thought I was hopeless on the "redefine" and "reuse" front I go and attend (by which I mean I stopped in after class in the hopes of a sponsored nosh) Craftland's Super Celebration Bash.





Craftland is a veritable den of reuse. They started out putting on craft shows annually and now occupy a retail space full-time on Westminster Street in downtown Providence. Craftland features the work of over 200 artists/craftspersons, many of whom use repurposed materials. I definitely had two favorites:

HOHBO or House of Hope Boutique Originals makes softgoods out of salvaged fabrics. The organization was started by a woman who was once homeless and serves as a creative outlet for female residents in House of Hope's housing facilities.



ApRi is an online shop out of RI that specializes in items made from reclaimed burlap from coffee bean bags.



And look! They put a free burlap business card holder in the evening's gift bags! I remember when I used to have a business card.





**I apologize for the hazy photos. When they were taken I had a plastic cup of vino in one hand and a 3 megapixel camera phone in the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment